To be eligible for legal aid, you must have valid military identification and belong to one of the following categories: Legal aid personnel are located at almost every base, ship and facility. If you are having trouble finding legal aid, you can find the office near you by visiting one of the following websites: The military pension system may be the best, but good planning is necessary to ensure you can retire. For this type of legal issue, you should contact a civil attorney for help. In our program directory, you will find programs in your area that you can connect with a civil lawyer. Visit the Armed Forces Legal Assistance website. This website contains a postal code-based locator. Even if you don`t live near military installations, start with the locator. There may be a smaller legal aid office nearby that you are not familiar with. If there is no legal aid office in your area, consider contacting a local legal clinic, which is often sponsored by law schools and offers free legal advice to military personnel. Another option is to contact your local legal aid office or bar association to find out if you offer free or low-cost services for military personnel.

Finally, find out if your Attorney General`s office offers free civilian legal services to military personnel. You can consult the list of individual statuses of these programs in our program directory. The Office of the Attorney General for Military and Veteran Legal Aid was established to promote and facilitate civilian legal aid programs, pro bono services and peer support services for military personnel, veterans and their families. As part of its efforts, the Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance Programs identifies and maintains the following registry to provide military members and veterans with a single source of information on their unique legal aid resources. View the 2020 U.S. military payrolls for all active duty ranks, as well as reserve and guard components. Keep in mind that legal officers cannot provide you with the full range of legal aid you need. For example, the military lawyer will not usually represent you in court. If you need more help than the military legal counsel can offer you, he or she may be able to put you in touch with a non-military lawyer who can represent you pro bono (free of charge) or for a fee. JAG officials keep all conversations and transactions with clients strictly confidential, as required by professional liability rules. There is no charge for services provided by military legal aid firms. All services provided by military legal counsel are free of charge for eligible personnel.

If your legal problem involves costs or fees (such as filing fees for filing a case with the court), you will likely have to pay those fees. If an office of the JAG cannot help you, they will refer you to a specialist lawyer if necessary, usually through a local lawyer placement service. Legal officers are members of the Judges-Advocate General (JAG) Corps. JAGs can offer assistance in legal and non-legal areas such as contract law, immigration law, divorce, wills, notarial services, etc. Yes. There are also areas of law where legal officers may NOT be able to help you, including: Appointments can be made at: Temporary Suspended Walk-in Services While the Attorney General`s Office strives to connect the public with legal aid, state law generally prohibits the Attorney General`s Office from representing individuals in court. whether it is to bring an action on behalf of an individual or to defend an individual. While the Agency can answer general questions, it is not authorized to advise individuals directly on personal matters.

If you need to draft your will, consider signing a lease, or need a power of attorney or notarized signature, you need legal assistance and, best of all, military personnel and their families have access to legal assistance, absolutely free! Veterans are not eligible for these services. In general, legal assistance is provided to the following groups: Legal Advisors Lawyers can provide you with legal advice and assistance in a number of areas of law, including: Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Stay up-to-date on all the legal benefits available to you as a member, veteran or spouse and receive updates directly to your inbox by subscribing to Remember, as mentioned above, that the military legal counsel may be limited in what they can do to help you with a legal problem, and the lawyer may need to refer you to a civilian lawyer so that you can resolve your problem completely. Many civil cases can be handled by a military lawyer at no cost to soldiers. Civil matters include landlord-tenant disputes, wills and trusts, family law (including divorce, separation, custody and child support), naturalization, consumer matters (including debt collection, consumer fraud, identity theft), powers of attorney, extended medical directives (living wills) and affirmation of your rights under the Military Civil Assistance Act. The following questions and answers are intended to give you some tips on these topics. The JBSA law firm is closed every AETC day and holiday. The law firm may be closed on other days for training or special events. The Legal Office handles claims for and against the Air Force arising from incidents at San Antonio Common Base sites. To make a claim, please contact your local office.

Household Item Issues: For powers of attorney, go to to write a power of attorney worksheet. Once a ticket number has been generated, call your local legal department to make an appointment with that ticket number.